Skip to main content

Sulphate ions!

I always love the way my mam teaches me. Today we did "Estimation of Sulphate ions by nephlometry".
Mam started with a question "Why to estimate sulphate ion?". The question is so simple. But., as usual most members of the class blinked. Here we go and get to know why? :

Estimation of sulphate ions is important for two  reasons:
1) Sulphate ions causes SCALING in boilers, fermenters etc.,
2) Must be in a limited amount in drinking water.

Notes: 

Aim:
To determine the amount of sulphate ions present in the given sample.

Principle: 
Sulphates occur in water naturally as a result of leaching from gypsum and other common minerals. In addition, sulphate may be added to water by waste water treatment plant. The presence of sulphate is limited to 250ppm. Sulphate ions are precipitated as various sulphate crystal in acid medium. Light scattered by the solution is proportional to the concentration of sulphate ions which is measured in a nephlo turbidity meter.

Barium chloride + Sulphate ---> Barium sulphate + 2 chlorine

Reagents :

1) Anhydrous sodium sulphate :
148mg of sodium sulphate was dissolved in 100ml of distilled water. (100ml contains 100mg of sulphate)

2) Conditioning reagent

Procedure: 
10ml of stock solution was pipetted out into a 100ml of standard measuring flask and made upto the mark.
2, 4, 6, 8, 10 ml of working standard solution was pipetted and made upto 20ml with distilled water. 1ml
of conditioning reagent was added and 0.1g of barium chloride was added. The mixture was stirred using magnetic stirrer for a minute. The nephlometer was standardised with sodium sulphate solution. The unknown solution was prepared on the same way and Nephlo Turbidity Units were measured.

A calibration graph was drawn with concentration in x-axis and NTU in y-axis. The concentration of sulphate ions present in the given sample was determined from the graph.

Tabulation : 


Volume of working standard (ml)
Volume of water added (ml)
Concentration of sulphate ions (micro grams)
Volume of conditioning reagent added
Amount of  barium chloride added (mg)

    
       NTU
Blank
20
-----




     1ml




     100

0
2
18
200
45
4
16
400
103
6
14
600
169
8
12
800
182
10
10
1000
251
Unknown 20ml
(tap water)
---------------
      ???
190




 Calculation : 

Stock standard: 100ml contains 100mg of sulphate ions.
Working standard: (1 in 10 dilution)
1ml contains 0.1mg of sulphate.
2ml ---> 200 micrograms
4ml ---> 400 micrograms
6ml ---> 600 micrograms
8ml ---> 800 micrograms
10ml --> 1000 micrograms

Result: 

A Graph was plotted with the above readings and the Concentration of sulphate in the tap water was found to be 760 micrograms / 20 ml 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lowry Assay Principle and procedure

Though there are several protein assays available, the most preferred one in many laboratories is "Lowry assay". It is effective in the concentration range of 0.01 mg/ml to 1 mg/ml. And, as an additional info, the paper published describing the procedure and principle of Lowry Assay is the most cited paper in the scientific history. (Feeling like, "Wow! I want to publish one to compete with Oliver.H. Lowry"???  :P) Why Lowry?   Though there are several other protein assays, mostly Lowry assay is used in many laboratories. The reasons for preferring Lowry are: sensitivity of the assay, highly reproducible, cost effective, easy to perform. Biuret assay is generally used for higher protein concentrations like tissue samples but, Lowry for less concentrated samples and hence used in most of the molecular biology laboratories where there will be need for assaying comparatively less concentrated protein samples (in most cases where we attempt to produce enzymes). Oth

Sea Butterfly!

Neih hou!  Don't roll you eyes wondering what it is! "Neih hou" is how you say "hello" in Cantonese. Guess what, I am in Hong Kong and therefore the language Cantonese. I came to Hong Kong this summer as an intern before officially joining as a PhD Student. This is my second experience abroad, far away from home, new language, new culture, I expected me to have a "really" bad cultural shock, but, actually I experienced only 50% of what I expected. For a girl who have used the marina beach only for eating "sundal", bikini in beach was a shock (FEEL FREE TO JUDGE ME!). The first time, I went to the big wave beach here, I was the only one who was totally covered, when everyone was enjoying their Beer, I was slowly sipping my lemon juice (THE ODD ONE OUT!). I realized how beautifully different the world outside is! There is no single standard for right or wrong, it varies in different countries, in different regions around the world. And it

The Butterfly flew for the first time!

Hi dear sweet lovely reader, Didn't meet you for a long time... Just after complaining about the stipend problem in the last post, I actually wanted to write a lot here, but, couldn't find time (Such a lazy girl, I am!). As you might be knowing, the author (me) is the butterfly here :P And, I flew for the first time!! YEAH! I FLEW! I flew like a butterfly! It was an awesome experience flying for the very first time! (ow, no! I dint put a trans-gene in my body and fly after getting  a pair of wings, but with a passport and VISA). I'm this girl, full of dreams wishing to do "this", "that" and "all kind of stuffs that one can do". And, one among those dreams was to fly one day! TO FLY FREE!(I mean, not free of cost :P, but liberation) I always wanted to fly in those big, big airplanes, but, I always have avoided that mode of transport. Reason? Obviously, it would burn a big hole in my dad's pocket (actually he can afford if I wan