Skip to main content

My colorful valentine! !!!

Hii...!! This time I'm gonna share my colorful  valentine search! For the valentine's day, we use to wear some specific colors which has specific means. Let me explain you, how my valentine was. I wore a grey colored costume :) (because that was not in the list of valentine). And, I went in search  of  purple & pink & black!

purple (blue)  ----> not in love!
Pink ----> Gonna propose!
Black ---> hates love!

:) :) Why i was searching these colors?? Any guesses???  Kindly tolerate with me & proceed further reading!
After a good search, I found a lovely purple, pink and black! :) Let me explain you the situation!

We had first three hours of theory class on the valentine's day. After the theory hours, I was much excited and eager to go to our lab! Because , our lab hours are the most happy, enjoyable times!
okay, let me come to the point now, why i searched for those colors?? Not only myself, all my class mates  searched for these colors.. What's so special about these colors??

Kindly tolerate with me! I searched for pink, purple & black because... We stained our microbes using GRAM'S STAINING TECHNIQUE, NEGATIVE STAINING & SIMPLE STAINING for viewing under light microscope.

In Gram's staining bacteria stain either as purple or pink :) While in simple staining just blue; In negative staining it looks transparent in black back ground.

Staining procedure :

Simple staining : 

  • Mainly used for viewing the shape and structure of cells under microscope!
  • cells stain blue in color! 
Procedure: 
  • Prepare your slide clean.
  • Place your culture at a corner of the slide using loop, air dry and heat fix.
  • Add Methylene blue to the slide and keep for a minute.
  • wash of the dye after a minute, air dry and view under microscope. 
  • Beautiful blue color  cells can be found.
  • Morphology of the cells are noted generally using this type of staining.
Gram Staining : 
  • Based on the differences in the cell wall of the bacteria, they can be classified as gram positive and negative. 
  • Negative one's have a thin peptidoglycan layer while positive one has thick peptidoglycan layer.
Procedure : 
  • slide is prepared with the culture as mentioned above and air dried and heat fixed.
  • For a minute, crystal violet is added and washed after a minute with water.
  • Then, Iodine ( mordant - helps in effective fixing of dye to the cells) is added and kept for 30seconds.
  • Wash off gently with little water. 
  • Then, 95% of ethyl alcohol is added and kept for 30 seconds (time limit is important)
  • Then, counter stain using Saffranin. 
  • Wash off with water gently, air dry and view under microscope.
Note : 
  • Gram positive's ---> Stain purple
  • Gram negative ---> Pink 
  • Wash the stain only using distilled water,  that too very gently for a maximum of 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Add ethyl alcohol only for 30 seconds because gram positive may become negative due to degradation of peptidoglycan layer. 
Negative staining : 
  • Cells appear in dark black background as transparent bodies. (It looks so beautiful) 
Procedure : 
  • Place 2 to 3 drops of Indian ink (nigrosin) over a clean slide.
  • Add loop of culture to it and mix well. 
  • Smear the mixture with another slide as you do blood smearing. (refer for blood smearing procedure  picture here
  • Air dry the slide and view under microscope. 
:) With these colorful stains, my lovely valentine's lab came to a pleasant end. I completed my staining perfectly with out errors :) There was an excellent chemistry between my microbes and myself.  :P They proposed me love as I looked into them under microscope. :) :P :P 

Happy night! Tata.. gonna read about Green greeny algae for tomorrow's test. :) bye.......!

Comments

  1. O_o...that was too much for me to take in...I hate biology... :P

    anyways...frankly speaking...I skipped the procedure... :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lowry Assay Principle and procedure

Though there are several protein assays available, the most preferred one in many laboratories is "Lowry assay". It is effective in the concentration range of 0.01 mg/ml to 1 mg/ml. And, as an additional info, the paper published describing the procedure and principle of Lowry Assay is the most cited paper in the scientific history. (Feeling like, "Wow! I want to publish one to compete with Oliver.H. Lowry"???  :P) Why Lowry?   Though there are several other protein assays, mostly Lowry assay is used in many laboratories. The reasons for preferring Lowry are: sensitivity of the assay, highly reproducible, cost effective, easy to perform. Biuret assay is generally used for higher protein concentrations like tissue samples but, Lowry for less concentrated samples and hence used in most of the molecular biology laboratories where there will be need for assaying comparatively less concentrated protein samples (in most cases where we attempt to produce enzymes). Oth

Sea Butterfly!

Neih hou!  Don't roll you eyes wondering what it is! "Neih hou" is how you say "hello" in Cantonese. Guess what, I am in Hong Kong and therefore the language Cantonese. I came to Hong Kong this summer as an intern before officially joining as a PhD Student. This is my second experience abroad, far away from home, new language, new culture, I expected me to have a "really" bad cultural shock, but, actually I experienced only 50% of what I expected. For a girl who have used the marina beach only for eating "sundal", bikini in beach was a shock (FEEL FREE TO JUDGE ME!). The first time, I went to the big wave beach here, I was the only one who was totally covered, when everyone was enjoying their Beer, I was slowly sipping my lemon juice (THE ODD ONE OUT!). I realized how beautifully different the world outside is! There is no single standard for right or wrong, it varies in different countries, in different regions around the world. And it

The Butterfly flew for the first time!

Hi dear sweet lovely reader, Didn't meet you for a long time... Just after complaining about the stipend problem in the last post, I actually wanted to write a lot here, but, couldn't find time (Such a lazy girl, I am!). As you might be knowing, the author (me) is the butterfly here :P And, I flew for the first time!! YEAH! I FLEW! I flew like a butterfly! It was an awesome experience flying for the very first time! (ow, no! I dint put a trans-gene in my body and fly after getting  a pair of wings, but with a passport and VISA). I'm this girl, full of dreams wishing to do "this", "that" and "all kind of stuffs that one can do". And, one among those dreams was to fly one day! TO FLY FREE!(I mean, not free of cost :P, but liberation) I always wanted to fly in those big, big airplanes, but, I always have avoided that mode of transport. Reason? Obviously, it would burn a big hole in my dad's pocket (actually he can afford if I wan