Skip to main content

Electroporation (Transformation)

Hi,
Wish you baskets of smile :D :)

Last time, I explained about,  Electrocompetent Cells of DH5 alpha. As a continuation, this time you are gonna know about, transforming those electrocompetent cells with Plasmids. The transformation technique is very simple.

Last time I didn't explain you about the procedure to prepare electrocompetent cells. Let me give you a short  
procedure.

Procedure to prepare electrocompetent cells:
1) Inoculate the E.coli DH5 alpha cells the previous day in LB broth.
2) Subculture it, the next day such that you have initial O.D (Optical Density) of 0.05
3) After two hours, you must have an O.D of 0.6 to 1
(This is because, the cells will be in log phase or in active metabolic state in  this O.D)
4) Then, ultra centrifuge your culture to separate the cells.
5) Ultra Centrifuge twice with cold water and one time with glycerol.
6000 rpm for 7 minutes at 4 degree c with cold water
4000 rpm for 5 minutes using glycerol.
6) Now, your electrocompetent cells are ready, put them in eppendorfs, store them in deep freezer with liquid nitrogen for further use ( - 80 degree C)

( I was very much exited when I saw the liquid nitrogen and deep freezer for the first time :)
That's why I always enjoy my lab hours)

Note:
The exact mechanism of altering the cell permeability by this procedure is not known.
The centrifugation with cold water is done for removing salts and ions present in the cell.
Glycerol acts as a cryoprotectant, maintains osmotic pressure.

Okay, lets go for transformation procedure now.

Things you need for this transformation are: 
Electroporation cuvettes, Electroporation system, Laminar air flow hood, incubator.
These are the little sophisticated things you need apart from, Pipettes, petriplates, culture tubes etc.,

Procedure:
1) Thaw your electrocompetent cells stored at -80 degree C using ice. 
2) For 20 micro liters of Cell, use 100 to 200 nanogram of plasmid DNA, mix and tap, leave in ice, for15 minutes.
3) Transfer this content from eppendorfs to electroporation cuvettes, and give pulse using electroporation system. ( During this electric shock, the DNA will enter into your electrocompetent cells)
4) Wash your cuvettes with LB broth and then tranfer the content to culture tubes else you can also use the cuvette  during the incubation. 
5) Use the Electro competent cells as your Control. (Give shock to these cells also, though they don't have  DNA to get transformed)
Incubate your cells for 1 hour under appropriate conditions before plating.
6) Plate your Cells and cells+DNA using LB ampicillin plates (Spread plate method)

Observe your plates the next day after incubation,
The cell + Plasmid DNA (with ampicillin resistant marker) plate will show growth, if transformation is complete.
The Cell alone plate won't have growth.

I asked you to incubate your cells before plating them. you know why??

Because your transformed cell won't be having enough plasmid to resist your ampicillin. So, if you give them an hour, their pDNA will replicate and produce enough copies to produce enough beta lactamase.

You need detailed procedure?
Then comment your mail i.d. 
I'l send you.

Any doubts, queries? mistakes? feel free to comment.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lowry Assay Principle and procedure

Though there are several protein assays available, the most preferred one in many laboratories is "Lowry assay". It is effective in the concentration range of 0.01 mg/ml to 1 mg/ml. And, as an additional info, the paper published describing the procedure and principle of Lowry Assay is the most cited paper in the scientific history. (Feeling like, "Wow! I want to publish one to compete with Oliver.H. Lowry"???  :P) Why Lowry?   Though there are several other protein assays, mostly Lowry assay is used in many laboratories. The reasons for preferring Lowry are: sensitivity of the assay, highly reproducible, cost effective, easy to perform. Biuret assay is generally used for higher protein concentrations like tissue samples but, Lowry for less concentrated samples and hence used in most of the molecular biology laboratories where there will be need for assaying comparatively less concentrated protein samples (in most cases where we attempt to produce enzymes). Oth

Sea Butterfly!

Neih hou!  Don't roll you eyes wondering what it is! "Neih hou" is how you say "hello" in Cantonese. Guess what, I am in Hong Kong and therefore the language Cantonese. I came to Hong Kong this summer as an intern before officially joining as a PhD Student. This is my second experience abroad, far away from home, new language, new culture, I expected me to have a "really" bad cultural shock, but, actually I experienced only 50% of what I expected. For a girl who have used the marina beach only for eating "sundal", bikini in beach was a shock (FEEL FREE TO JUDGE ME!). The first time, I went to the big wave beach here, I was the only one who was totally covered, when everyone was enjoying their Beer, I was slowly sipping my lemon juice (THE ODD ONE OUT!). I realized how beautifully different the world outside is! There is no single standard for right or wrong, it varies in different countries, in different regions around the world. And it

Isolation of monocytes from PBMC (Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells) - Principle and protocol

Whenever I'm made to realise that I'm not clear enough or good at something, I try to make myself clear with it. It happened today, during my laboratory examination, I was asked to perform monocyte isolation from a given blood sample, but, unfortunately, I was not very clear with the principle behind it.(but, still I managed to complete the experiment as I know the protocol, but, knowing the principle behind each step of the protocol clearly is very important, isn't it?). But, nothing is wrong in it, I made myself clear with it now. That's good, right? So, let me share with you some basic principle and protocol for isolating monocyte from blood sample. For isolating monocytes, initially we must isolate PBMC (Peripheral bood mono nuclear cells) from the blood sample. Here, let us make few terminologies clear before starting with the principle. Peripheral blood sample  - It is the blood sample obtained from acral areas of body (in general, it is the blood collected